Wednesday, November 5, 2008

In L.A. Where do you go when you want to celebrate your Black President? Crenshaw!!!

Yes, Crenshaw Boulevard in Leimert Park is where Black Angelenos go to be together when something major happens--kinda like Harlem West. My student MeLisha B. (a college freshmen) wrote a blog about it, so I give her the guest blog spot tonight:


Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My President Is Black

"Do you know why it was cold yesterday? People said it would be a cold day in hell before a black man became president.Well, guess what guys. Bundle up." Unknown

November 4th, 2008 was the very first time I have ever voted. On the way to the church where I was summoned to vote, I was very nervous. I didn't know what to expect and just wished all would go well. People said many negative things about voting, so I began to think as I was driving to the church: "What if I had to stand and wait in line for hours? What if I accidentally marked the wrong answer on the ballot? What if it started raining?"

Well, first off, I was only in line for 45-50 minutes, blessed to not have to stand in line for very long. When I was done voting, I began to walk to my car. The voter line was all the way down the street, two blocks from the church. I was glad I came when I did. Just simply having a right to vote and a voice to be heard intrigued me to want to vote. Most of my family are immigrants (Belizean)and are unable to vote, so my cousins and I had the honor and were proud to vote not only for Obama, but for our family.


At 8:01 p.m. my father called me, yelling at the top of his lungs,"We won,we won! Obama won!" Now, I thought the results of the votes weren't going to be in until the next day and that my dad was playing. As I drove further, I realized he wasn't lying to me.

By 8:09 p.m. I'd reached Crenshaw and Slauson. People were yelling, screaming, crying, dancing, waving their flags, showing off their shirts and blowing their horns. This was no Laker parade.This is going to be history, I thought. My son will maybe one day write a book report on the first Black president of the United States of America. I had never experienced so many happy people for a presidential election. I am so proud of the results of this election.


"Rosa Parks sat so, Dr.King could talk. Dr.King walked so Obama could RUN...and Obama WON so our kids can fly." Author also unknown.

No comments: