Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Whole Lot Going On

OK, slow down, Isidra. Stay in the moment. So much going on, all you can do is take it one step at a time.

This was supposed to be a post about one topic, but as I write, there is so much going on all I can do is make a list:

Recently returned from Dallas to help with the launch of Nature's Essential Ingredients (NEI), a true-to-its-word natural hair products line. It was such a great launch, the products are almost sold out. It is an all natural product line developed by Nadean Day (center photo), a stylist based in Fort Worth. My connection is through one of the three partners, Renee Cottrell Brown (right), who just left Pro-Line Corporation, (a company her dad founded) after 25 years. We met at USC and became roommates. She is really on to something--I love the way these products make my hair feel. They work together to nourish it to feel like it did when I was 20 years younger. The website is almost ready: http://www.neibeautycare.com/ where later this month you can order them. Currently, NEI is only distributed in areas like Texas, California and online. Get the serum if you only buy one product. It is a non-oily oil that restores hair to thinning spots, but I use it for everything. Oh, and the lady on the left is Atty. Renee Higginbotham-Brooks, the one who got the trio together.


Had the Expo Photo Shoot this week at the Watts Coffee House and it was a lovefest of professionals. At point guard is Wendy Raquel Robinson, celebrity spokesperson; small forward is Leroy Hamilton (photographer), at power forward is Rene Cross Washington (graphic designer); shooting guard is Desiree Edwards, owner of Watts Coffee House and at center is Harold Hambrick, Expo president. I enjoyed meeting the three delightful young people Wendy brought along and Mecca (makeup) and Aishah (hair). Me, I am the 6th (wo) man off the bench who coordinated the thing. Click the Expo Photo Shoot link above to see my behind-the-scenes shots from the day.

Hmmmm. All this basketbal talk must mean we are in the NBA finals, with bad officiating and all. The Lakers are down by 2...and are playing as I write. My husband keeps shooting me these looks that say "Put that laptop down and come help the Lakers." I scream so loud they can hear me at Staples. What a release!

We are starting a new program at West Los Angeles College called Umoja (Swahili for "unity") and I will be the English teacher. We had a successful launch yesterday. This is more than a program designed to retain African American students, it is a mentoring networking program for 30 students and if you have a student even thinking of going to West, this is the time to enroll-www.wlac.edu.

Last Friday was Dr. Kwaku Person-Lynn's final class of a 16 week (extended) series of his Afrikan World Civlizations class. What a finale! We had a stirring song by Maurice Smith (right.) Another student, a poet, Sharon Massengale performed. Annie Smith coordinated all that as well as invited Chef Eugene, who brought some slamming jambalaya served in shiny steel pots while he was adorned with a starched white chef's coat and a smile. The potluck was my favorite, though, because those students throw down.

No time off th0ugh. This Saturday, Dr. Kwaku's Black History for Young People classes start --a 6 week summer series for youth aged 12-18. For the first time it will be held where the adult class is, at Ben's Place--Kaos Network. www.drkwaku.com/youth.html.

But, today started so sadly, with the news of the passing of Pat Tobin. I had to get up early and drop Jaaye off dowtown to work and the day seemed gloomy to match the mood. A woman who was in many ways the heart of Black Los Angeles goings on, lost her two year battle with cancer. I last saw her at the services of Muhammad Nassardeen and when I greeted her she was very fragile. A few days ago, the word came that her family was summoned and she only had hours to live. She passed away this A.M. June 10.

Meanwhile, another tragedy is hanging in the balance: Locally, Maryann Mitchell, who I do not know personally but everyone must know because my email box has been blowing up was found at the bottom of her pool. She is fighting for her life. And another young woman I do know--she will remain anonymous for family privacy -is in the hospital after crashing her car into a tree at 50 mph. She was in a coma but thank God she is alert now. I am praying for all.

The Lakers pulled it out (I long since put down the laptop to cheer them on). They allowed us a smile and a nod to Pat to send her on her way. Rest in peace, Pat. Thanks, fellas.

By the way, a note about our last post, congratulations to Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas wh0 won the vote count, but the race was forced into a runoff, so here we go again.

My video guru, William Byers, had me do a voice over on a project he did featuring Willie Gault. Check it out by clicking here.

And last but not least--our film was at the Hollywood Black Film Festival (click for my pics) last week and we enjoyed the Filmmaker's brunch on Sunday. Check this out: I met the organizer, Tanya Kersey (photo center along with Rockmond Dunbar and Will Packer), online about 10 years ago. We were looking for someone to do the Entertainment Summit at the Los Angeles Black Business Expo. She agreed to do it, and brought along Kelli Moore, who did our Celebrity Expo as well. Some years after Tanya founded the HBFF, she and I were both part of a group that wanted to produce a local black news show. I knew NOTHING about video back then, but Andre Alporter gave me a private tutoring and got the ball rolling. My first piece ever was one we did on the Black College Expo in 2004. The group didn't last but I was set on a path that led me to being a filmmaker at the HBFF (along with Gail Parker and William Byers) which is now in its 9th year. That's the power of networking and the power of Internet networking. Pat would be so proud.

Take care, all!
Isidra Person-Lynn

PS: Congrats to Jasmyne Cannick who wrote the print story for Ebony on Serena Williams. Here is the video preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDlkfS0y9Ww
And the photo above of Tanya, Rockmond and Will Packer is by Hiltron Bailey.

PPS: Great seeing you Alaina! That's my cousin Alaina, left, visiting from Virginia and my niece, right, Tianna. Center is Kevin Ross, who has some exciting things coming up I will tell you about next time. If you go to www.threebrothersandasister.blogspot.com you can hear Tianna introduce Kevin's radio talk show. That's the face behind the voice!

No comments: