Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Comedy Act Theater is back!

Yeah, yeah, I know it's now called Comedy Act Planet, but Angelenos have fond memories of the place that made us laugh so hard our faces hurt for days. Michael Williams was the unassuming businessman who founded the theater. He ran into some health problems, closed it and for years looked a bit lost . Now, the picture of health, he finally answered the clarion call for some good comedy-- something to laugh at-- so this Thursday he is reopening the Comedy Act Planet at the Regency West. The first night is $25, then each Thursday thereafter it's $15.



Flashback: The late Robin Harris really put the Comedy Act Theater on the map, and as his star was rising meteorically, something just came and took his breath away. I was working at KACE FM at the time and Robin used to come in and cut commercials for his shows and things. He always had a group of comedians around him and, as he did in his nightclub act, he cracked on every one in sight. The first show I ever broadcast with him, he told Mark Whitlock, who once sported a bit of a Jheri Curl, that his hair looked like a thousand ink pen springs. I was rolling. Then he turned those bubble eyes on me and told me my braids were so tight it looked like I slept with my eyes open. Ouch! (We were on air.) I did not know then that joke was a staple of his shtick.

One day, the production guy was called away and Robin and Joe Torry and some others were on deadline to cut a commercial. Being News and Public Affairs Director, this was not my forte, but I ran the board for them, glad to pitch in. In my headphones I noticed Robin was breathing hard into the mic. Mind you, Robin had been cracking on everyone, but when I cracked on him "Robin, why are you breathing all hard into the Mic?" He went ice cold, his eyes studying the carpet. The laughter and gaiety fell to the floor. We re-recorded the voice over, but I could not wait to get out of there. I assumed Robin could dish it out but couldn't take it.

A very short while later, I interviewed Robin at the opening of the Spike Lee Film, "Do the Right Thing." Robin played in that film, he had Bebes Kids (the movie) coming out, starred in House Party, and he was on a roll. Stardom was the express he was riding.

Not a month later, I filled in on the morning news when Sam and Steve were the morning guys on KACE. Sam had come in from a ski trip (a station promotion) and was there when I received the tragic news report that Robin had passed away. Something to do with his breathing. Sam took it straight to his gut. He and Steve launched an on-air tribute fit for the king of that era's comedy.

But, I kept thinking back to that day in the studio. He must have known he was having some kind of troubles and here I had picked the scab. He might have felt his time was short.There is nothing less enjoyable than a funny man gone cold.

But 18 years later we are still talking about Robin. And now Michael is rebuilding his comedy house. Click the You Tube for a 3 minute interview I did with the club's founder. Michael wandered into Ben Caldwell's KAOS Network where my husband teaches his Afrikan World Civilizations Class (and where his Black History 4 Young People Class will be held this year.) When Michael told me what he was doing, I was ecstatic. The best way to save Leimert Park is to get back to doing what we first did to make it great. Welcome back, Michael.

For a comedy treat, visit the www.comedyactplanet.com webpage. Wait for the video to load...and let it play. You will see/hear all kinds of comedians in that one elongated clip. But it's not for the faint of ears. Trust me.

Thanks for reading...but don't forget to click on the You Tube interview I did with Michael Williams above! By the way, the first photo above is the cover of Robin Harris' Live from the Comedy Act Theater DVD and the second is Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas speaking at Anthony Samad's Urban Issues Breakfast Forum at the Regency West earlier that morning (taken from my cell phone). As Robin Harris would say, Small World!

By the way, congratulations to our sister Assemblyperson Karen Bass! Speaker of the House, WOW! I lived vicariously through Leroy Hamilton who photographed her photo at left and the swearing in. See his fabulous photo presentation here.

Our son, JaayePerson-Lynn, has been shooting pics all around town as he campaigns for Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas and whatever else he can get in to. If you want to see the photos and captions larger than they are (top right), click here.

Stay strong, y'all. Isidra Person-Lynn

No comments: